May 17th Holiday
NATIONAL PACK RAT DAY
I thought for sure today’s holiday would involve cleaning of some sort. I figured it was a day to go through some old stuff you had packed away in your basement or attic and get rid of it. I was wrong. It is completely the opposite. In fact, the guidelines for today’s holiday are as follows:
- Don’t clean your room, basement, garage or any other area today.
- Don’t discard anything today…It may be valuable.
- Don’t even empty the trash today. You might have accidentally thrown out something useful.
- Do keep an eye out for useful stuff being discarded by others.
- Do go to garage and rummage sales. They can be pack rat gold mines.
- Do look around your belongings and be thankful for what you have.
- Do spend time thinking of uses for your things. Justification for saving is satisfying.
Awwww, sweet! No cleaning?? I can totally do that! I didn’t feel the need to take any pictures today since you all have recently seen our life in boxes. Things are better since then, but we still have a long way to go. Today I actually was berated by my husband for overflowing our recycling bin, not taking the garbage out also leaving multiple half-full water bottles on our window sill. So, I have to say I did a pretty good job with celebrating today’s special day. I will NEVER get to hoarder status though, that show makes my skin crawl…
Total Cost to Celebrate: $0
Song of the Day:
I was going to be clever and use a Rat Pack song (get it) but then I found out it is Jordan Knight’s birthday today. For all you NKOTB fans, this will make you feel especially old….he turned 42 today…
P.S. – Speaking of being a pack rat, I still have my New Kids plastic cup that I got as a fundraiser prize in 5th grade…I use it regularly.
P.P.S. – Joey is still the best, don’t forget it!