Today’s holiday recognizes all those super duper tall buildings all over the world, the skyscrapers. It falls on September 3 because today is Louis H. Sullivan’s birthday (1856), and he is the architect credited with designing the first skyscraper. Although Detroit doesn’t have the greatest skyline in the world, it is still a skyline. I did not travel downtown today to take in all the beautiful buildings, we will actually be down there tomorrow for the Tigers game. Instead, I purchased this nifty Detroit skyline decal for our laptop so we can celebrate today’s holiday everyday:
Here I am prepping it for application. Roman was helping too….sort of….I guess if you considering ripping the instructions to shreds helping….
The finished product! I think it’s pretty cool:
Tomorrow we will take in the real Detroit skyline and marvel at the architectural genius that it takes to construct such buildings. I also looked up what the tallest buildings in the world are currently, have a peek:
- Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai), Dubai, The United Arab Emirates, 2010, 160 stories, 2,716 feet
- Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan, 2004, 101 stories, 1,667 feet
- World Financial Center, Shanghai, China, 2008, 101 stories, 1,614 feet
- Petronas Tower 1, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1998, 88 stories, 1,483 feet
- Petronas Tower 2, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1998, 88 stoires, 1,483 feet
- Greenland Financial Center, Nanjing, China, 2009, 66 stories, 1,476 feet
- Sears Tower, Chicago, 1974 ,110 stories, 1,451 feet
- Guangzhou West Tower, Guangzhou, China, 2009, 103 stoires, 1,435 feet
- Jin Mao Building, Shanghai, China, 1999, 88 stories 1,381 feet
- Two International Finance Centre, Hong Kong, 2003, 88 stories 1,362 feet
Wow, that Dubai one is nutso!!! It is substantially taller than #2 by a long shot. Boy, I remember when the Sears Tower was all the rage….no more. Another area where America is slacking.
Total Cost to Celebrate: $12
Song of the Day:
Skyscraper by Demi Lovato. I really like this song actually.
P.S. – Dear Demi, I know you are all sorts of screwed up, but you do have some real talent. Keep taking your crazy pills and you’ll be just fine.
P.P.S. – Dearest Demi, I’m just kidding about you being crazy….please don’t hunt me down and hurt me…..I know you like to do that sometimes. ha ha, just kidding again….kinda.